Stress is an unavoidable factor in life. While we can't fully prevent it from ever happening, there are steps we can take to help manage and control stress and its effects. Signs of stress can present themselves both mentally and physically.
What are some ways stress presents itself?
- muscle tension
- high blood pressure
- trouble sleeping or over sleeping
- body aches and pains
- depression or anxiety
- memory problems
- trouble concentrating
- feeling overwhelmed
- lack of motivation
- issues having sex
- making poor decisions
Sometimes individuals find themselves coping in unhealthy ways, this can lead to greater health issues.
What are some unhealthy coping mechanisms we want to avoid?
- excessive alcohol consumption
- compulsive behavior (can present in sex, shopping, internet use, etc.)
- drug use
- overeating or other food disorders
How can we prevent or relieve stress?
- develop healthy eating habits
- participate in relaxing activities like meditation, yoga, or breathing exercises
- say ‘no’ to additional responsibilities
- Exercise often or when the symptoms of stress present themselves
- practice mindfulness
- spend time with loved ones
Stress can present itself in different forms and there are many ways we can go about treating those symptoms. Overtime stress should decrease and symptoms improve. If you are having recurring or worsening issues due to chronic stress, you should make a medical appointment to address these issues.